Tuesday, July 01, 2014

July is here!

Summer is well under way. I hope you're making time to stretch and write. The following was NJCWG's June meeting focus. If you didn't make the meeting, I pass these words on to encourage your writing gift. If you did make the meeting, I pass these words on to encourage your writing gift again. 

Thoughts to ponder

Focus: Making an Investment
Many of us are familiar with the parable Jesus told in Matthew 25 (v.14-30). A man was going on a journey and entrusted his estate to three of his servants. One was given five talents to care for, another two talents, and another, one talent. Each of the first two servants “put his money to work” and it multiplied. The third servant wanted to keep the money safe, so he hid it.
When the master returned he was pleased with the first two servants and said, "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things…”
The third servant said to his master, “I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.” The master was displeased and called him wicked and lazy.
What do you think the master expected of the servants? I don’t believe he praised the first two b/c they made money for him - he commended them for being faithful. They saw their entrustment as precious and made an attempt to grow it. What if their investment didn't double? Would the master have praise them? I believe he would have. The servants had no insurances that the money would double, but they did their best.
The third servant was called wicked and lazy - how harsh! Just what did he did wrong? In his own words, he let fear dictate his actions. He didn't respect the money he was given as an entrustment. He didn't make an effort to research possibilities but took the easiest way out and buried it.
As a writer this parable encourages me in two ways. First, I will not allow fear to hold me back - burying my talents is not an option. Secondly, although I can’t ensure results, I will be faithful and take action - investment is my only option.

Take home thought: Am I investing the talents entrusted to me?
May your summer investments reap a great reward! 
Barbara

2 comments:

Barb said...

This is how I feel, like the girl with the one talent. I can write, sure, but what is the point, where is the profit when I only have one talent and so many others have so much more talent? This is the question I ask myself late at night when I am sitting at my desk.

Thank you for the answer and thank God! I write because it is my gift and I must invest it in others. No matter how big or small, He has given it to me and I must not be lazy nor fearful. It is not mine but His! I must use my gift with diligence.

Thank you, Barbara for using your gift to encourage me!!

Barbara Higby said...

I can't wait to see how your talents multiply! Looking forward to a good report in September.
Blessings,
Barbara