Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Yes, we're meeting over the summer!


Summer meetings

July 14 (upstairs) 

August 4 (regular room)


These informal meetings will be opportunities for encouragement and to discuss personal questions or concerns. There will no Focus Point or planned exercises but critique pieces are welcome. Regular members, please contact Barbara (bhigby9323@gmail.com) with your intentions. If we do not have a number of attendees and decide to cancel, we want to notify members who travel a distance. Also give me a heads up about questions or topics you want to discuss. The Focus Point from our June meeting is below.


Focus Point
Our Story

When E. B. White was 48 years old, he wrote, 
“I’m glad to report that even now, at this late day, a blank sheet of paper holds the greatest excitement there is for me—more promising than a silver cloud, prettier than a little red wagon. It holds all the hope there is, all fears. I can remember, really quite distinctly, looking a sheet of paper square in the eyes when I was seven or eight years old and thinking, ‘This is where I belong, this is it.’” Letter to Stanley Hart White, January 1947 
I can’t say I’ve ever thrilled over a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen), but I love E.B. White’s sense of anticipation and his awareness of limitless possibilities. Our joy in writing should not falter under the shadow of staleness, the pressure of a deadline, or a feeling of obligation. 

As a Christian writer, my thrill is to be a blank sheet of paper. I love the joy of Creator God writing my story and using me to write His. I delight in discovering a creative thought, a twist of words, the perfect analogy, an original description, or inspired theme. 

As the bride spoke of the bridegroom in Song of Solomon (2:16), let us say, “I am His.” What will God write in us? What will He inspire us to write? Let’s rekindle the joy of our gift. As we share summer writing goals, let’s remain as a blank sheet, ready to receive from the Author of our faith. 
 
Take home thought: Lord, I am yours. As the author of my story, use me to write your story.

No comments: