Saturday, July 08, 2006

Writing Op - Firefox News (not really news)



Please also see the general submission guidelines: http://firefox.org/submit.html

I am looking for fiction submissions on the themes below. Payment is on acceptance; submission response time is currently 1 to 2 weeks. I reserve the right to occasionally exceed this timeframe but I really try to respond quickly!

Pay rate is $.01/word up to $100.

Submit stories to leva@firefox.org

Themes have a deadline, however, themes may be closed to submissions early if I feel like I have accepted enough stories!

Without further ado, here's the first six themes I'm looking for material on:

It's the End of the World As We Know It
Stories about cataclysms, pandemics, disasters, alien invasions, and other angsty and grim subjects. Should be strongly character driven, and the stories may take place during or after the disaster. Note that you may submit comedy as well as dark stories and I'm open to unusual methods of ending the world!
Deadline: September 1st, 2006

Magic in the Modern World
Stories about magic coexisting with the modern world. Funny, romantic, silly, serious -- but with a strong underlying fantasy element.
Deadline: October 1st, 2006

Heroes
Stories about protagonists who save the day. May be fantasy or science fiction, and may be about anything from a reluctant hero to a superhero. No Mary Sues!
Deadline: November 1st, 2006

Beauty and the Beast
I don't want to see stories that are a rehash of the fairytale. What I'm looking for are romances where one of the characters is physically unappealing to the other protagonist -- for any reason you can think of. One of the heroes, for example, may be disfigured, may belong to a fantasy or alien race, or, as in the original fairy tale, may be magically cursed. You may also come up with other reasons ... Stories can be fantasy or science fiction. Note: No Bestiality. I shouldn't have to say this, except, apparently, I do. If the story makes me go, "Ewwww!" I'm not going to buy it! There's a fine line that shouldn't be pushed, here ... also, please note the site's "PG" rating!
Deadline: January 1st, 2007

Bad Guys
Submissions should be about rogues, renegades, mercenaries, pirates and others of a questionable moral persuasion. The protagonist should be likeable even if his actions aren't.
Deadline: February 1st, 2007

Aliens
The only requirement for this theme is that one of the characters must be an alien. Authors may really run with this one; I'm curious to see what sorts of submissions I get.
Deadline: March 1st, 2006

More Info:
http://firefox.org/theme.html

Please note that Firefox News is not affiliated with The Mozilla Foundation or the browser Firefox. Although we highly recommend the browser, we cannot help you with any issues pertaining to it. Please contact Mozilla.org for assistance with your browser.

No comments: