Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Blessed Thanksgiving


I want to wish each of you a blessed Thanksgiving. I am thankful for so many things -- among them: the NJCWG, the many Christian writers I've come to know and the many readers who share their love for my writing.

After you celebrate this holiday of thanks, remember to jot down your experiences and your thoughts. This is also a great opportunity to share your faith with friends and family. Let them know who it is you thank for your blessings and who you depend on when things get you down.

I am also going to my readers a favor. While many of us look forward to spending holidays with family and friends there are those, who not by choice, spend this time alone or in situations not of their choosing. Foster kids are separated from parents who can't properly care for them, relatives fear for those serving overseas and single parents fret over a limited income and security for their children. Then there are incarcerated inmates, the homeless, those in hospitals & nursing homes and the mentally ill. Let us not forget these and others who don't share a picturesque holiday when we pray.

Take this one step further. Make a phone call to the widow or single mom in your church. Send a note of encouragement to your great-aunt or your grandfather who lives alone. Make a commitment to serve food at a soup kitchen -- not on Thanksgiving -- but during the summer months when they are short staffed or in the cold winter months when others conveniently forget the needs of those less fortunate.

I pray that you have a blessed Thanksgiving -- but I also ask you to go out and bless someone else with what our Lord has blessed you.

NOTE: I will not be posting for the next few days but please feel free to drop me an email if you plan to attend the NJCWG Christmas Party (Dec 12).

Louise Bergmann DuMont
Facilitator of the NJCWG
njcwg.dumont@gmail.com

No comments: