Wednesday, October 03, 2007
Wrting Op - Today's Christian Mag
Stories of Faith, Hope and God's Love
465 Gundersen Dr.
Carol Stream IL 60188
Web site: www.christianitytoday.com/todayschristian
Contact: Cynthia Thomas, editorial coordinator
Format: Magazine for adult evangelical Christian audience.
Tips: "Most of our articles are reprints or staff written. Freelance competition is keen, so tailor submissions to meet our needs by observing the following: Today's Christian audience is truly a general interest one, including men and women, urban professionals and rural homemakers, adults of every age and marital status, and Christians of every church affiliation. We seek to publish a magazine that people from the variety of ethnic groups in North America will find interesting and relevant."
* 25% freelance written
* Established: 1963
* Circulation: 125,000
* Pays on acceptance; on publication for humor pieces.
* Byline given.
* Editorial lead time 5 months.
* Submit seasonal material 8 months in advance.
Accepts queries by:
* Accepts simultaneous submissions
* Responds in 1 month to queries.
* Sample copy for 5×8 envelope and 4 first-class stamps.
* Click here for manuscript guidelines
* Book excerpts
* General Interest
* Personal Experience
* Photo Feature
* Buys 100-125 manuscripts/year.
* Submission method: Query with or without published clips or send complete manuscript.
* Length: 250–1,500 words.
* Pays $125-600 depending on length
* Pays the expenses of writers on assignment.
* Accepts previously published submissions.
* Send tearsheet, photocopy or typed manuscript
* Rights for sale
* Information about when and where the material previously appeared
* Pays 35-50% of amount paid for an original article
* Send photos with submission.
* Identification of subjects
* Buys one-time rights
* Negotiates payment individually.
Columns & Departments
* Contact: Cynthia Thomas, editorial coordinator
* Columns open to freelancers: Humor Us (adult church humor, kids say and do funny things, and humorous wedding tales), 50-200 words.
* Pays $35.
* short fillers
* Buys 10-20 fillers/year.
* Length: 100–250 words.
* Pays: $35.
Posted by Louise Bergmann DuMont at 6:48 PM