Friday, June 17, 2005

Today is "Eat Your Vegetables Day"


Today's writers must make their writing relevant to the reader. One way to do this is to connect your writing to current events. When you find a "wacky holdiay" that relates to your favorite subject you have a built in writing platform.

Today happens to be National Eat Your Vegetables Day! Since I write a column about chocolate -- and we all know that chocolate is really a vegetable -- I have an opportunity for a column, a short or even a feature story!
Sorry to say you already missed National Hollerin' Contest Day (June 16), National Juggling Day (June 13), National Applesauce Cake Day (June 4) and Natonal Yo-Yo Day (June 6). But don't panic until tomorrow (National Panic Day -- June 18).

I'm sure most of you know that this coming Sunday is Father's Day, but I'll venture to say that most of you don't know about these other June holidays:

REMAINING WACKY JUNE HOLIDAYS
18 Go Fishing Day
18 International Panic Day (OH NO... I forgot to buy my sister a card for this!!!!)
18 National Splurge Day (Oh yeah!! )
19 World Sauntering Day
20 Ice Cream Soda Day (Chocolate Sodas Anyone?)
21 Finally Summer Day (How many days until fall???)22 National Chocolate Eclair Day (Another chocolate story waiting to happen!!!)
23 National Pink Day (I'm going with fushia!)
24 Mid Summer Day
24 Swim a Lap Day (To wear off all those eclairs...)
25 Log Cabin Day
26 Beauticians's Day (Does your beutician know about this?)
26 National Forgiveness Day (This should be EVERY DAY. I see an article in this one! Do you?)
27 Paul Bunyon Day (Celebrate this in a "big" way.)
28 Insurance Awareness Day (Now who do you think invented this one!?!)
28 National Columnist's Day (Why not take a columnist to lunch??)
29 Camera Day
29 Waffle Iron Day (I know what I'm having for breakfast this morning. I think I'll put some chocolate chips in them -- to go with my latest article!)
30 Meteor Day

If you are the sort who can't stand for your holiday to end, you can revel in June's monthly celebrations of the following:

JUNE IS:

  • Aquarium Month
  • Candy Month
  • Dairy Month
  • Fight the Filthy Fly Month
  • National Fresh Fruit and Vegtables Month
  • Rose Month
  • Trukey Lovers Month

For more Wacky Holidays go to: http://http://holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/index.htm


Now get WRITING!

No comments: