Thursday, March 15, 2007
Writing Op - AARP Magazine
601 E St. NW
Washington DC 20049
Web site: www.aarp.org
"AARP The Magazine is devoted to the varied needs and active life interests of AARP members, age 50 and over, covering such topics as financial planning, travel, health, careers, retirement, relationships, and social and cultural change. Its editorial content serves the mission of AARP seeking through education, advocacy and service to enhance the quality of life for all by promoting independence, dignity, and purpose."
* 50% freelance written
* Prefers to work with published/established writers.
* Circulation: 21,500,000
* Pays on acceptance.
* Publishes manuscript 6 months after acceptance.
* Byline given.
* Offers 25% kill fee.
* Buys exclusive first worldwide publication rights.
# Submit seasonal material 6 months in advance.
Accepts queries by:
* Does not accept previously published submissions
* Responds in 3 months to queries.
* Free sample copy.
* Click here for manuscript guidelines
Articles can cover finance, health, food, travel, consumerism, general interest topics, and profiles/first-person accounts.
* Submission method: Query with published clips. No unsolicited mss..
* Length: Up to 2,000 words.
* Sometimes pays the expenses of writers on assignment.
* Photos purchased with or without accompanying mss.
* Pays $250 and up for color; $150 and up for b&w.
"The most frequent mistake made by writers in completing an article for us is poor follow-through with basic research. The outline is often more interesting than the finished piece. We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts. " This means query first.
Posted by Louise Bergmann DuMont at 10:18 AM